During the last few years of Sri Sri Thakur’s life, when He had frail health, He thought of a hermitage at a suitable place and expressed His desire to His close disciples. The disciples then started searching for a convenient place in different parts of undivided India. But Thakur did not like most of the places as suggested by His disciples. At last, in 1930 after inspecting several places in and around Chittagong, Bangladesh, along with His close disciples He Himself, as one day he happened to rest under a banyan tree (later on named ‘Kaibalya Sakti’), pointed at the location of the hermitage, later named ‘Sri Sri Kaibalyadham’ by Him on the top of a hill at Pahartali.
This was a lonely place owned by Sri Mahendra Lal Ghosal. On his expiry his wife and son Sri Nirmal Ghosal donated the same to Sri Sri Thakur. The hill was covered with a dense forest and there were a number of ferocious animals. Soon it was cleaned to construct the hermitage. After a small temple was constructed, most of the disciples wanted to inaugurate ‘Sri Sri Kaibalyadham’ during the month of April or May, 1930 on an auspicious day. But Thakur declared the date of inauguration to be 26th July 1930 (10th Shraban, 1337 B.S) and that was the day, it was inaugurated, though Thakur was not present for that function.
Thakur entered the temple in mid February, 1931(15th Falgun, 1337 B.S) and stayed there for a few days never to enter afterwards. Later on, with the untiring effort of the disciples the main temple, guest houses and boundary walls were constructed. Roads were also constructed by cleaning the forest. That year (1338, B.S) ‘Durga puja’ was also performed by worshipping ‘Devi-Durga’ as an idol. This continued only for three years after which the same festival is being conducted every year by worshipping not the idol of the goddess Durga but by placing ‘Ghot’ (pitcher) beside the image of Sri Sri Kaibalyanath. This is also the annual festival of Sri Sri Kaibalyadham, Pahartali, which continues for five days. Lakhs of devotees from different parts of Bangladesh and India gather and have free Prasad day and night during the festival. In addition to the above, every weekend thousands of devotees have free Mahaprasad.
Sri Sri Kaibalyadham is very close to the ‘Kaibalyadham’ Railway station, which is also adjacent to Dhaka Chittagong Highway, popularly known as Dhaka Trunk Road. On the western side of Kaibalyadham the panoramic view of the Bay of Bengal is very fascinating, so is the view of the sunrise and the sunset. On this side there is also a big banyan tree named ‘Kaibalya Sakti’ and a big pond known to be ‘Kaibalya Kunda’, where the disciples take their holy dip. On the northern side of this pond there is a place where ‘Sradha’ ceremony is conducted. Thakur said that if a ‘Sradha’ ceremony is conducted there, people will get the same benefit as in ‘Gaya’, India. Later on ‘Hara-Gauri’ temple was made within the campus and a new building was constructed for guest rooms and other activities of the devotees.
Srimat Haripada Bandyopadhyay was nominated by Thakur as the First Mohant of Sri Sri Kaibalyadham before its inauguration. He was a dedicated disciple of Thakur; he liked to sing divine songs playing his ‘Tanpura’ and enjoyed the discussions on the mystery of spiritualism. He passed away in February, 1935 and then Srimat Syamacharan Chattopadhyay became the Mohant under the directive of Thakur. Srimat Chattopadhyay was in the position of Mohant for 25 years and during this period he made enough infrastructural development of Sri Sri Kaibalyadham and other temples of Sri Sri Kaibalyanath. Thakur gave him the full responsibility of initiating new devotees before He took rest in His heavenly abode on March 2, 1960.